Thursday, February 06, 2020

Graham Groucutt RIP

Most sadly, my friend and allotment neighbour Graham Groucutt has died.

Although I knew he had been ill, news of Graham's death still came as a shock. Until a few months ago, he had been a vigorous man - brimful of life.

I had kept an allotment at Earwig Corner, Lewes, for a dozen years now and, after Graham and his friend and former son-in-law Chris joined the allotment society some nine years ago, you were always guaranteed a friendly welcome.

Almost every time I visited my plot, Graham was there near the gate, eager to chat and gossip.

Moreover, he was incredibly generous, constantly making cups of tea for his fellow allotment holders, mowing the communal pathways and helping in myriad other ways.

After I struggled with my Flymo, Graeme took to cutting the grass fringes on my plot, shrugging off my thanks whenever we talked.

A couple of years back, my then allotment neighbour's wife sadly died.

Graham immediately offered to tend the plot for the man concerned until he was ready to come back to it.

In the event, my neighbour decided to give up his plot and Graham took it over, keeping it immaculately.

Graham became Chairman of the allotment society and fulfilled the role with great skill, diplomacy and dignity.

But as I look over Graham's empty plot now, I am embarrassed by how little I knew about him.

We talked about everything except his life. I don't know about his past or even his age.

At first I didn't think I even had a picture of him, although I photographed his former son-in-law Chris several times. Weeks later, I found just one.

Graham was an unassuming gentleman who was quietly always there. 

Looking through my messages, I can see the last one he sent me was in September last year when I thanked him for cutting my grass and he said simply: "My pleasure!"

When I saw him in recent months, he said he had lost his energy, but the doctors did not know what was wrong with him.

By December, we were told he was too weak to come to the allotment.

He loved those allotments. A true son of the soil, he loved every clump of earth, every blade of grass, every root vegetable there.

But most of all, Graham loved the allotment people at Earwig Corner - and we loved Graham.

Graham's family plan to bury him in the West Midlands, I hear, but his fellow allotment holders are planning their own wake at Earwig Corner, with trees planted in his memory. What could be more appropriate.

We'll all miss Graham more than words can say.             

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home