Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Atget's Paris and Ollie's Brighton

One of my photographer heroes is Eugène Atget who in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century methodically captured old Paris, photographing it street by street. I have a treasured book, Atget's Paris, containing some 800 images, most of which were taken in the early morning light suggesting a 'mysteriously deserted city', yet with a 'haunting, poetic quality', as the foreword described it.

During this current extraordinary time, I felt the need to occupy myself by trying to capture some of the same solitude that Eugène Atget found on the streets of his beloved city - on the deserted streets of mine.

I am not an early morning person, but I went out when I could during the day and evening to photograph the remarkable emptiness of Brighton & Hove's streets and open spaces, which would usually be thronging with visitors and revellers, particularly in fine, summer weather.

Amid the trauma of the news, my daily outings have proved a solace, knowing that I am recording Brighton & Hove in a situation that may never occur again in my lifetime.

Eugène Atget's photographs were not entirely devoid of life; sometimes some shadowy citizens, a cat or a horse-drawn carriage would appear. 

I also found the occasional visitor entering my pictures, escaping, like me, from the misery of lockdown for some exercise.

As a commuter, Brighton Station, devoid of passengers with just a couple of staff on the spotless concourse, struck me as particularly strange.

On my daily traipses, I encountered little acts of kindness and signs of love, as well as misery and despair.

It helped me. This has not been an easy time for anyone. 

Many of us are shocked by the inept handling of the crisis by a government that seemed to get off to a fair start. 

The daily news updates have scared half the population witless, while the police seem to have lost the plot, virtually giving up on crime busting.

One hell of an independent inquiry is needed into how Britain got it so wrong.

Meanwhile, runners and cyclists have gone feral, taking over the roads and streets; the air has been cleaner, and the birds have been audible.

Everyone has a viewpoint. Almost no one agrees. 

Like Eugène Atget, I have simply tried to observe and record.

I haven't enjoyed lockdown. But I have tried to accept the situation, stay positive and make the most of it.

One day, perhaps, schoolchildren will study this most strange period in our history - and I hope these 35 pictures of mine will give them an inkling of just how surreal life truly was in the Summer of 2020 in Brighton & Hove.



































Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger La Nightingail said...

A marvelous collection of photos depicting the odd current situation in towns and cities. If I had a favorite it would be the one with the seagull sitting in the road with an 'expression' that suggests it's wondering where the heck everyone is?!!

Friday, 22 May, 2020  
Blogger ScotSue said...

A valuable documentary of “Life in Lockdown 2020” . It was interesting to read of your inspiration for your study. I live in a rural village in the Scottish Borders, with the High Street a busy link between the central Borders and the east coast. It has been eerie to see the High Street with no traffic in sight and the few people about usually dog walkers. Social distancing seems to be well observed here.

Friday, 22 May, 2020  
Blogger Sandra Williamson said...

Great photos, almost eerie, It's not often that we see an empty built environment

Sunday, 24 May, 2020  
Blogger virginiaallain said...

Excellent way to get out for fresh air and capture unique scenes from this unusual time. I'm afraid your premier and our president are operating from the same playbook. Stay safe as best you can.

Sunday, 24 May, 2020  
Blogger Mike Brubaker said...

Haunting photos, especially in black & white. The dark humor of the wig shop's display of face masks and toilet paper seems a good image for representing this horrible time. I hope you will soon be able to record another series showing life returned to normal.

Monday, 25 May, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home